Monday, July 12, 2010

LIfe can be a puzzle!


A few weeks ago I was listening to the radio when I was out and about doing things and there was an interview with Susan Maushart who wrote a book called 'The Winter of our Disconnect'. Basically for 6 months her family took a hiatus from everything digital and electronic, the phone, internet, tv, handheld games, you name it, they got rid of it! It was amazing to hear her talk about how even her teenage children learnt the beauty of having less technology around and had me craving for the same thing. I am so sick of constantly telling the kids to step away from the tv, get off the internet, turn of their DS's and basically learn to 'play' again!. Well the arrival of Grandma Joy has definately helped my cause. Not only are they loving playing with their Grandma (or showing off to her!) but she arrived bearing gifts. Pick up Sticks, Marbles, Cards and Puzzles have been such a hit in the house. All of the kids have been playing games which don't involve electricity and it has been fantastic. I think they are even enjoying it too! Unfortunately the internet is still getting a bit too much of a work out but in general they are doing some other activities too. This puzzle is our second to be undertaken since Joy's arrival and it still remains incomplete, but it is getting there slowly.

Sometimes the most simple things can be the most fun and I am glad that the kids have gotten to see that you can play fun games that aren't electronic! I don't think I could ever give it all up completely but less time wasted on these types of things would be wonderful - well a girl can dream can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment